Latest posts and blogs from the Key Code Media team
Avid Technology’s long-running ISIS Shared Storage was a staple to any post-production shop for years. While it was obvious Avid would release the next iteration of their shared storage product, the product introduced, Avid NEXIS Shared Storage, was more than just a rebrand.
Digging deep into the performance and cost benefits of Avid NEXIS Shared Storage, we’ve concluded that there really isn’t any reason for users to still be using old Avid ISIS Shared Storage. Here’s why!
Key Reasons To Upgrade | Avid ISIS to Avid NEXIS Shared Storage:
1) SUPPORT COST: Avid ISIS shared storage cost more
Having a support plan is must when you have multiple editors and producers relying on it 24 hours a day. Productions cannot afford to have their storage shut down. Just for a second, imagine your storage platform does shut down, do you want to liable for getting it fixed? Wouldn’t it be reassuring knowing that someone Avid certified can resolve the issue? Exactly! Not to mention support guarantees your system will receive critical patches whenever new Apple or Microsoft OS threaten your infrastructure.
Now here’s the bad news: Avid ISIS Support plans have increased since the release of Avid NEXIS. Meanwhile, the cost of storage capacity has dropped significantly. Let’s look at the example below – You’re likely to pay up to $16k more over 5 years to support 128TB Avid ISIS 5500 then a 400TB Avid NEXIS E4. You are paying roughly 30% more for Avid ISIS shared storage that is less than half the storage capacity of an Avid NEXIS.
2) RISK: Hard Drives Will Fail
If you think your storage will last forever we have some bad news for you. Research shows hard drives will fail over time- regardless of the manufacturer. The latest research from Back Blaze observes hard drives wear increases significantly after year 3.
How old is your Avid ISIS storage? It’s very likely that it’s over three.
3) CAPACITY: Performance and workflow capacity
This isn’t just marketing fluff- Avid NEXIS Shared Storage will add more capacity, predictability, and performance to your post-production workflow.
With the release of Avid NEXIS, you can pack 20 TB, 60TB, or 100TB HDDs with up to 7.4PB of combined capacity. The Avid Nexis file system will also be the only compatible storage with the much anticipated Avid MediaCentral | Editorial Management, releasing June 28th.
Adobe editors will be happy to know Adobe Premiere Pro runs better on Avid Nexis with up to 2.4 GB/sec capacity.
INTERESTING IN AVID NEXIS STORAGE? CONTACT US FOR MORE INFO:
Los Angeles, CA – June 6, 2018 – At this year’s E3, leading VR production studio Supersphere, in collaboration with integration provider Key Code Media, will debut VR/360°/180° live streaming capabilities for esports tournaments via its groundbreaking immersive live production flypacks. The flypacks are equipped to handle multiple content streams including 360°, 180°, 4K, or HD and seamlessly mix and match each geometry for a high-end, high-resolution immersive experience. Visit the Key Code Media booth (South Hall – 2450) during E3 for a live demonstration.
“Through immersive live streaming we’re able to recreate the high energy and action of an esports tournament – viewers can see each player, each monitor, gameplay, and social feeds, just as though they were in the arena,” explained Lucas Wilson, Co-Founder and Executive Producer at Supersphere. “With our flypacks, any client will be able to deliver a customized experience in high resolution to fans anywhere in the world.”
Benefits of Supersphere’s 12G multi-geometry flypacks include:
- Customizable to any VR, 360°, 180°, 4K, or HD camera as productions demand
- Real-time geometry integration, live stitching, color grading, and ambisonic audio via Assimilate SCRATCH VR Z
- Simple wireless streaming between devices or directly to the web via LiveU
- Easily build a custom 360° video player for apps or web via Teleos Media’s VDN, or stream directly to popular platforms such as Facebook and YouTube
For more information and live demos, visit South Hall booth 2450 throughout E3.
Here’s the link to opening day Facebook live description and booth overview https://www.facebook.com/keycodemediainc/videos/10156505822513383/
We’ll be at E3 through 6/14 so stop on boy and enter VR Fortnite
PRODUCTION FLYPACK INTEGRATOR – KEY CODE MEDIA
Key Code Media provided system integration design services and equipment for Supershere’s 12G Multi-Geometry Flypacks for Live VR/360°. With a vast partnership of broadcast vendors, Key Code Media has helped numerous production companies integrate live broadcast and post-production technical solutions for video content creation and delivery.
POWERED BY LIVEU
With live event productions, connectivity “everywhere” becomes pivotal to the success of a broadcast. LiveU’s patented cellular boding and video transport technology creates a consistent bandwidth and reliable connection, enabling content creators to acquire, manage and distribute high quality remote live broadcasts over IP.
“The eSports industry was an early adopter of live video technology with individual gamers streaming from home,” noted George Klippel, LiveU Director of Channel Sales. “But when it came to streaming from events and tournaments, connectivity was challenging and quite expensive. With the Supersphere solution, powered by Key Code Media and LiveU, we’re seeing a tremendous opportunity for eSports conferences, eSports manufacturers, and individuals to take the live event gaming experience to an immersive next level with VR/360°.”
At the booth, see the LiveU in action as it streams live VR/360° video content from the Supersphere Mobile Flypack on the E3 show floor.
Supersphere is a leading VR/360° consultancy and production studio based in Los Angeles and New York. Supersphere’s team of top creative and engineering talent brings decades of production experience and expertise in camera technology, immersive audio, broadcast integration, live streaming, and beyond to facilitate all aspects of production from concept through delivery – helping elevate clients to more forward-thinking methods of storytelling and customer engagement. http://superspherevr.com/
About Key Code Media
Key Code Media designs, integrates, supports, and trains on live production, editorial, storage/archive, media and asset management, plus audio and media automation solutions. We focus on helping our clients to maximize their budget, creativity and workflow efficiencies. With a vast partnership of broadcast vendors, Key Code Media has helped numerous production companies integrate live broadcast and post production technical solutions for video content creation and delivery.
LiveU is driving the live video revolution, providing live video streaming for TV, mobile, online and social media. Let your audience become part of your story with high-quality and flawless live video, transmitted from anywhere in the world, through the use of our patented bonding and video transport technology. Our broad portfolio of products sets the industry standard for live video production. From backpacks to smartphones, and satellite/cellular hybrid to external antenna solutions, LiveU offers a complete range of devices for live video coverage anytime, anywhere. In addition, LiveU offers extensive cloud-based management and video distribution solutions. With over 3,000 customers in 80+ countries, LiveU’s technology is the solution of choice for global broadcasters, online media, news agencies and social media. For more information, visit www.liveu.tv, or follow us on Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, or Instagram.
Burbank, CA, 6/5/2018
Live and Post Production Training and Certification Programs
Key Code Media is proud to announce Key Code Education, a production training division, providing vendor-certified training, industry certifications, and advanced engineering programs.
“At the heart of Key Code Education is the desire to provide content creators and broadcast engineers an easier path to succeed with software, hardware, and creative tools. We can’t wait to see you at the Key Code Education facility located in Burbank, California.”- Mike Cavanagh, President of Key Code Media
KEY CODE EDUCATION COURSES INCLUDE:
- Adobe After Effects
- Adobe Premiere Pro
- Adobe Photoshop
- Apple Final Cut Pro X
- Autodesk Flame
- Avid ACSR Certification
- Avid Nexis Storage Essentials
- Avid Media Composer Fundamentals I & II
- Avid Pro Tools Training
- Aesthetics: Intro to Storytelling
- Assistant Editor Essentials
- Color Grading
- Conforming Essentials
- DaVinci Resolve Color Grading and Finishing
- Documentary Filmmaking
- Editing Essentials
- Facilis Terrablock Essentials
- Post Coordinator Essentials
- Storytelling 101
LEAD BY EDUCATION LEADER JOHNATHON AMAYO
Johnathon Amayo is the new Chief Academic Officer for Key Code Media Education. Jonathan spent the past 25 years educating the industry on the next generation of film/media creation and distribution tools with management roles at Avid Technology. Inc, Producers Guild of America, NBC, Disney/ABC, and Runway.
“Education is a true passion of mine. I’m excited to help develop transparent resources for storytellers with the best training in California.” – Johnathon Amayo, CAO at Key Code Education
EMPLOYMENT TRAINING PROGRAM (ETP)
Employment Training Panel (ETP) provides California State funding to employers to assist in upgrading the skills of their workers through training that leads to good-paying, long-term jobs. Key Code Education is now signing up clients for ETP. They will be a premiere ETP qualified education vendor, presenting production facilities relevant live production, editorial, finishing, and asset management training for individual and group courses.
Sign up for more information on ETP facility training here: http://www.keycodemedia.com/employment-training-panel-etp/
BUREAU FOR PRIVATE POSTSECONDARY EDUCATION (BPPE)
Key Code Education is a certified BPPE Post Secondary Education school. The Bureau protects students and consumers through the oversight of California’s private postsecondary educational institutions by conducting qualitative reviews of educational programs and operating standards, proactively combatting unlicensed activity, impartially resolving student and consumer complaints, and conducting outreach.
To learn more visit: http://keycodeeducation.com
ABOUT KEY CODE MEDIA
Key Code Media designs, integrates, supports, and trains on live production, editorial, storage/archive, media and asset management, plus audio and media automation solutions. We focus on helping our clients to maximize their budget, creativity and workflow efficiencies.
Our motto “Keeping You Ahead of Technology” focuses on helping clients invest in best of breed media solution integrations. Solutions include Newtek, Avid, Quantum, SNS (Studio Network Solutions), Adobe Creative Cloud, Avid Media Composer, Avid Nexis storage and Pro Tools, Ross Video, Telestream, Crestron, Quantum, Root 6, Sony, Panasonic, JVC, Clear-Com, Sennheiser, Facilis, StorageDNA, as well extensive access from our distributors for products including Ingram Micro, Tech Data, Synex and JB&A.
We pride ourselves on extensively training our service consultants are manufacturer-trained, certified professionals with years of hands-on experience who are committed to providing the highest quality technical support in the industry. Workflow consultation
Key Code Media, a leading live-to-post production equipment reseller and system integrator, and Studio Network Solutions (SNS) are announcing an exclusive partnership for the SNS EVO DPX, the latest addition to the EVO shared storage lineup, designed to make it simple for teams to integrate demanding coloring and finishing workflows into a shared storage environment with a single system.
EVO DPX was built to better support shared DPX and Open EXR workflows, rendering over complicated fibre channel deployments obsolete. The system features an eight-disk SSD architecture and comes pre-configured with 25-Gigabit Ethernet connectivity. The standard EVO DPX system is capable of approximately 3,000 MBytes/sec in real-world settings, and is qualified for 16-bit 4K (4096×2160) DPX and OpenEXR at 30fps. EVO DPX also includes multiple ports of 10-Gigabit and 1-Gigabit Ethernet for up to five direct-connect users by default.
The EVO DPX will be an exclusive product to Key Code Media, Studio Network Solutions top reseller in California, Oregon, Washington, Illinois, Minnesota, Iowa, and Michigan throughout 2018.
Need more details on SNS EVO DPX. You’ve come to the right place. Contact us:
Avid Connect 2018 (#AVIDConnect) kicked off the NAB week with several new announcements, emphasizing enhanced collaborative editorial tools for audio and video. Announcements include new products: Avid NEXIS |E5 NL storage, Media Composer | Ultimate, Pro Tools | Ultimate, Avid | AI, Avid Venue S6L updates, MediaCentral updates, and more. Here’s a breakdown of the announcements:
1) Avid Announces New Post Production Workflow Tools
Avid post production workflows centered on MediaCentral | Editorial Management give everyone—from small editorial teams to global media enterprises—the speed, collaboration and efficiency needed to take on the most demanding projects. Featured include:
- Intuitive media management in a streamlined user interface
Media Composer solutions that suit everyone
- Complete 4K I/O solutions in a portable and affordable configuration
- Avid NEXIS shared storage innovations
2) Avid Unveils Avid NEXIS | E5 NL
Avid NEXIS family extended to enable customers to seamlessly manage different storage tiers with optimal cost-efficiency and reliability. Featured include:
- Access archived media fast – faster access to archived media
- Integrate seamlessly into MediaCentral – new MediaCentral | Shared Library provides a powerful, flexible archiving solution for all types of assets.
- Get easy scalability – Scale from 480TB to 7.8PB, connecting multiple E5 NL engines.
- Avid Nearline pricing gets as low as $197/terabyte
3) Avid Empower Creative with New Pro Tools, Media Composer, and Sibelius products
As of today, Avid’s Sibelius, Media Composer and Pro Tools solutions are each available in two editions for creative individuals and teams at any stage in their career. “First” allows creators to begin the journey. “Ultimate” is the go-to for Media Professionals.
4) Avid Unveils Groundbreaking Unified Platform for Live Sound Mixing
Extended Avid VENUE | S6L platform delivers unprecedented compatibility and modularity with comprehensive new line of control surfaces, engines, I/O racks. Including:
- New control surfaces:
- VENUE | S6L-48D: 48 + 2 faders, 160 assignable knobs, 1 integrated Master Touchscreen, 5 integrated Channel Touch Modules
- VENUE | S6L-24C: 24 + 2 faders, 32 assignable knobs, 1 integrated Master Touchscreen
- VENUE | S6L-16C: 16 + 2 faders, 32 assignable knobs
- New engine:
- VENUE | E6L-112: 112 input processing channels, 48 mix busses + LCR
- New I/O racks:
- Stage 32—Maximum I/O flexibility in a smaller footprint for stage or remote I/O needs, with support for a mix of up to 32 inputs and outputs total, choosing from a variety of analog I/O, digital I/O, and Dante card options
- Local 16—Expands control surface local I/O capabilities in a compact package that provides 8 analog inputs, 8 analog outputs, and 8 AES digital inputs and outputs
5) Avid Updates Workflow Solutions for Sports, Accelerate Ultra-High Definition Content Creation and Delivery
Broadcasters accelerate their UHD production with Avid’s end-to-end sports workflows, which now include easy-to-use, cloud-enabled apps, integrated graphics production, and live content tagging and logging. By gaining production efficiency with workflows driven by the open MediaCentral platform, production teams can allocate more time to content capture, creative processes, and serving their UHD shows to every consumer device.
- Ingest, edit and play out content with Avid FastServe
- Collaborate on content creation with MediaCentral | Editorial Management
- Tag content using MediaCentral | Log app
- Automatically catalogue content with YEPCO Sports Data Feed Connector
- Collaborate with anyone with MediaCentral
- Store and archive content with Avid NEXIS
- Integrated real-time graphics with Avid Maestro family
- Display content in Maestro studio solutions
6) Avid introduces Avid | On Demand, harnessing the cloud and artificial intelligence for content editing and storage.
Avid | On Demand is a cloud service and solutions platform that provides media production capabilities on demand. Avid | On Demand lets media organizations conveniently deploy the capabilities they need on a per project basis with optimal elasticity—and without a drawn-out deployment phase or large capital outlay.
Avid | On Demand cloud services include:
- Avid | AI: A new suite of Avid and third-party capabilities that automate content indexing, such as closed captioning verification, language detection, facial recognition, scene detection, and speech-to-text conversion.
- Shared Library On Demand
- Editorial On Demand
7) Other Avid NAB 2018 Announcements:
- Avid Unveils Next Generation Maestro | PowerWall Display Solution for Affordable Studio Production
- Avid Unveils Additional Cloud-based Apps, Services and Solutions to Accelerate News Production and Delivery
Contact Us For More Information on Avid Broadcast, Audio, or Post Workflows:
Follow us on Facebook
- Which camera do you need to live stream? Check out the latest Live with Lu blog with good, better, best live streaming camera options based on different workflows and setups. https://hubs.ly/H0dnvNp0
- Good deal on moving to NEXIS! #Avid #Nexis #keycodemedia http://www.keycodemedia.com/2018/08/02/avid-nexis-trade-up/ …
- Whether you’re a team of two, an organization of thousands, or anything in between, @Avid MediaCentral accelerates your post production, news, sports, and live production workflows. CONNECT YOUR TEAM http://AVID.COM/MEDIACENTRAL #Avid #MediaCentral #sports #news #postpic.twitter.com/X5DmkvfBZ0