Our partners at Panasonic have a new production switcher available that is 2110 native. It’s called KAIROS. Harry Patel, Engineering Manager at Panasonic recently joined an episode of Inputs/Outputs to provide an overview and demonstrate KAIROS 100% remotely from the Panasonic demo room in New Jersey. Before we get into it, if you are interested in seeing Panasonic’s KAIROS in action, please contact Key Code Media. We’d be happy to provide a demonstration, pricing information, or design a turnkey production workflow around the KAIROS system.
What is the Panasonic KAIROS?KAIROS overall is a platform that allows you to do quite a lot of things. It ultimately is a platform built on both IT and IP technologies- providing flexibility to bring in both SDI and IP sources, along with complete control of other systems- like robotics cameras and graphic systems. KAIROS can be multipurpose for playout- whether a production is live streaming or controlling a blended projection system or LED Wall. All with only 1 frame of delay, from input to output.
KAIROS For Live Production: A Different Approach to Live Production SwitchersThe typical live production switcher has specialized hardware which is often FPGA based. You can take video inputs, bring them into FPGA, process and send it out. With the transition to IP, some vendors have taken an IP and decapsulation to baseband video and following the signal flow from there. Panasonic KAIROS differentiates itself by taking the IP transport or baseband source and feeding it straight into a CPU/GPU, using software-defined processes. This allows greater flexibility- including no specific restrictions on M/E’s and Keyers! KAIROS consists of three components:
- KAIROS Core – 1RU/2RU hardware server
- KAIROS Creator – KAIROS U/I and required driving point for the switcher
- KAIROS Control – an optional physical panel that resembles a 2 ME-panel design, but features dynamic additional functionality.
What We Like About Panasonic KAIROS:
- Processor – Video processing functions are virtualized to run on the Kairos Core’s GPU/CPU making it extremely flexible.
- Uncompressed – KAIROS manipulates all sources in an uncompressed format to maximize quality and assure the lowest possible latency. While KAIROS supports most compressed formats, all these are first decoded so they also are dealt with as uncompressed.
- One Frame Processing Delay – Only 1 frame of delay, made possible by close coupling of the software and specific hardware maximize efficiency.
- Unlimited Video Layers – The KAIROS Core engine allows for unlimited, flexible, fully-customizable layers from an enterprise-class reliable server while the user can manipulate these layers with a simple to use GUI with the KAIROS Creator, running on a Mac or PC desktop computer
- Mix & Match Everything – KAIROS supports Baseband interfaces such as SDI, HDMI & DisplayPort, Compressed IP including SRT, NDI, RTMP & RTSP as well as uncompressed IP with ST 2110 and all these can all be managed at once with multiple resolutions and aspect ratios for both inputs and outputs.